Australian Dollar and Online Shopping
Australians who enjoy online shopping have noticed differences between prices in Australia and the prices of goods sold at US online stores for a long time. Quite frankly, the distribution network in Australia is not as competitive as in the US, so markups for international goods remain higher. Some Australian shoppers are frustrated and are looking for ways to avoid Australian prices and take advantage of the relatively cheap online shopping in the USA.
Prices in Australia vs. USA Online Shopping Sites
To get a sense of what some of these Australian shoppers are feeling, read these Tweets we’ve come across recently:
- “…But I could get it for nearly half price from a US store with shipping to Australia.” @JRgamez
- “If there was shipping from USA to Australia I’d buy it today.” @TodaiPai
- “Shipping to Australia from USA saves so much, why does everything cost so much in OZ???” @Bulkinate
The Australian website Crickey has found that Australian consumers often pay more than twice as much for identical products sold at USA online stores. Readers of their website have pointed out wide gaps between Australian prices and prices at online stores in the US:
- Pentax lenses costing nearly $850 in Australia are available for US$510 from a US online store.
- High-end audio equipment costs three times as much in Australia as in the US.
- Cycling equipment: tires costing $50-70 locally available at online stores in the US for less than $30; bike chains costing $50-60 available for under $40 from US shopping sites; cassettes costing up to $100 here are available for under $50 at shopping sites in the US.
Shipping to Australia from USA Online Stores
But simply finding a better price at USA online stores is not a solution in itself. Another problem Australian shoppers face is that many US online stores don’t ship to Australia. Shoppers interested in sending parcels to Australia are usually out of luck because there simply aren’t many US stores that ship to Australia.
Package forwarding is a solution to this problem. Australians with package forwarding memberships can avoid these domestic markups by shopping in the USA at any online store using a US address and importing goods into Australia.
Using package forwarding, Australian shoppers can avoid the high prices in Australia and enjoy shopping at the comparatively low prices offered by US online stores.
How to get started with Package Forwarding From The US to Australia
When you sign up with OPAS, you get your very own U.S. Shipping address, and you can start shopping at almost any U.S. online website. Just purchase items as you normally would and have them shipped to your personal U.S. Shipping address. After your items arrive, you can login to your account area and request international shipment (we highly recommend consolidating purchases as often as possible to reduce international shipping costs). You can also request photos, scans of documents, and receive purchasing assistance via your account center.
Members that would like to receive regular mail, such as letters and magazines, in addition to packages can sign up for our Premium Package & Mail plan and receive any type of mail correspondence. Your account becomes a convenient virtual mailbox!
What items are you interested in shipping from the USA to Australia? Discuss your shopping experiences in the comments section below!